Thursday, June 27, 2013

Outward Appearances


Scripture Reference:

"The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7b, NIV)

Almost two years ago, I attended a holiday dinner at a couple's house where there was only one other invited guest. Throughout the evening, I was questioned about my living situation among other related personal questions. The stranger who also had been invited came across as very abrasive, intrusive, and offensive. Right off the bat, she seemed to think that it was her prerogative to ask me very personal questions about myself and my life. I felt very put on the spot and put upon especially by this woman. It felt like I had been invited to an inquisition and not informed of the real purpose up front. I did not realize it was going to be that kind of an evening for me. Otherwise, I probably would not have attended this dinner but I digress a little.

After the special event was over, I was thinking back over the unforgettable evening and the very rude woman. It made me more upset with her and myself. For one, I felt that she had violated me and my privacy. Looking back, I should have set boundaries with her up front. However, on the other hand, she should have known the unwritten rules. She did not seem to have the social etiquette that you would expect from most people though.

Unfortunately, that awful evening was just a reminder of the way people judge other people. I do not know whether her friend who invited me had told her a little about me. Based on the line of questioning, both of them had misjudged me. They based their judgments by outward appearances...things in the natural or physical world.

It was just another reminder how very important it is to renew our minds in God's word. (Romans 12:2) When we seek God and renew our mind in His word, He tells us and shows us what we need to know about a person or a situation. (Matthew 6:33) He gives us wisdom, knowledge, and discernment among other spiritual gifts. (1 Corinthians 12:8-10) Additionally, when we ask God for wisdom, He gives it to us. (James 1:5)

If those people had been seeking the Lord and studying His word, perhaps they would not have misjudged me. Then, I would not have had to endure an unnecessary inquisition at the couple's house.

Remember:

"The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." (1 Samuel 16:7b, NIV)

Life Application:

People should not judge others by the outward appearance of people and their lives. People do not know how God is working in and through people and the temporary situations in their lives.


Copyright 2013 by Dawn Freeman. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment