Monday, January 31, 2011

God's Love

“Who will love me for me not for what I have done or what I will become…who will love me for me because nobody has shown me what love…what love really means…”

Those are just a few of the words to JJ Heller’s Christian music song, “What Love Really Means”. I really enjoy hearing and singing that song on occasion. The words just ring true to my heart…to the very depths of my soul and spirit. That is what love really means…God’s love.

I am sure that you have heard or read 1 Corinthians 13, known as the love chapter, in the Bible. Just in case, you have not or not in awhile, let me share a few verses with you now.

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.” (1 Corinthians 13:4-8)

Now, how great is that passage in God’s word describing Him and His love. God is love, and His love is pure, perfect, and complete. (1 John 4:16-18)

I have found myself comparing man’s love to God’s love more over the last couple of years. Unfortunately, man’s love or human love falls short much of the time. So much so that I came to a point in my life where I did not want anyone to tell me that they loved me especially certain people. To me, it was just words. There was not any real meaning behind those words, because I knew that their love was imperfect. I knew that they and their love would disappoint me as it had so many times before. That is only one reason that I now say…human love definitely pales in comparison to God’s love.

Oh…to love as God loves! Oh…to receive God’s kind of love from humans more often! How great would that be?

First, in order to give that kind of love, we need to “know and rely on the love God has for us.” (1 John 4:16) As His word tells us, “We love because He first loved us.” (1 John 4:19)

So, when we recognize and receive His love, we are more willing and able to give His love to others. “Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them. This is how love is made complete…” (1 John 4:16b-17a)

John goes on to say that, “There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.” (1 John 4:18)

Remember that ‘God is love.’ Where God is, there is no fear…only love…God’s love. His love is pure, perfect, and complete.

Therefore, let us choose and strive to give God’s love to others more often. We have already received His love, when He gave His one and only Son. (John 3:16a) In addition, His spirit and His love lives on the inside of us. We have the ability to reach deep down inside and love, as He loves us.

I know that it may be hard at times. There are people who make it difficult for one reason or another. Perhaps also, we have not received His kind of love from humans as often as we would like or need to up until now. However, with His help, we can do anything.

In God’s word, it says that we cannot love Him without loving other humans. That includes our brothers and sisters. (1 John 4:20-21) As we choose to give His kind of love away, we will receive that kind of love back from others.

We have first received His love, so we need to give His love away as well.



Copyright 2011 by Dawn Freeman. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment