Saturday, December 17, 2011

Handling the Truth

 


This video clip you just viewed was part of the famous scene from 1992's movie "A Few Good Men" where the character, Colonel Jessup, played by Jack Nicholson stated to Tom Cruise's character, "You can't handle the truth!"

I believe that a lot of people can't handle the truth. In this movie, they were talking about the truth of a particular situation. However, I am talking about the truth of God’s word.

There was a significant time in my life when I couldn't handle the truth. In fact, a few years ago, I had received so much truth from God’s word that it was too much for me to handle at the time.

I had gotten a lot of revelation knowledge from my Father during this particular season of my life. All of this truth was too overwhelming for me. It was too much at once for me to take in then. I didn't know how to handle all of the knowledge of this specific truth that had been revealed to me from my Father.

You see, the truth that my Father revealed to me was concerning part of His purposes and plans for me. (Jeremiah 29:11-13) He showed me bits and pieces of it through visions and dreams that He had given me. He had also spoken to me about part of His plans for me.

At the time, I compared it in my mind to the story of Mary, Jesus’ mother. God had a purpose and plan for Mary. [*Side Note: I am not saying that His purpose and plan for me is that huge. However, it was way more than I could comprehend at the time.] An angel of the Lord came to Mary and told her about God’s purpose and plan for her. I am sure that it was too much information for Mary to handle at the time. Can you imagine being told that you, a virgin, were going to give birth to a Son and His name would be Jesus Christ, the Messiah, the Savior of the world? For anyone, I think that would be so overwhelming to receive that kind of knowledge of the truth. (Luke 1:26-38) The same was true for me. I received so much revelation knowledge that I could not take it all in at once.

Perhaps, there has been a time in your life when you couldn't handle the truth. What was it? When was it?

There have also been a few different times in my life so far where I have tried to speak the truth to people regarding a particular situation or a person in their life at the time. However, they couldn't take the truth! Or...perhaps, they weren't ready to receive the truth yet!

Nevertheless, our Father God wants us to speak the truth to people in order to help them. He uses the spoken truth to mature people. (Ephesians 4:15) That way, they become the people He created them to be for His purposes and plans. (Jeremiah 29:11-13)

Therefore, continue to speak the truth to people. There may be some growing pains along the way for you and for them. There may be times when you can’t handle the truth or others can’t handle the truth. Still, God will use it for everyone’s benefit as well as for His purposes and plans. (Romans 8:28, Jeremiah 29:11-13)


*More on my Faith Journey and Testimony will be shared at a later time and a different place or venue.



Copyright 2011 by Dawn Freeman. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment