Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sitting at Jesus' Feet

Are you familiar with the story about Mary and Martha?

Most people within the body of Christ have heard it at one time or another.  Here it is again.

As Jesus and His disciples were on their way, He came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to Him.  She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to Him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”  “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”  (Luke 10:38-42, NIV)

"...Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."  (Luke 10:42, NIV)

Did you catch that part?  What Mary chose was better.  It won't be taken away from her. 

There's more of a tendency in this world to rush around like Martha---always going, going, going and/or doing, doing, doing. 

However, God tells us in His word in this account from Luke that it's contrary to His thoughts and His ways.

The prophet Isaiah spoke about God's thoughts and ways. 

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord.  "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."  (Isaiah 55:8-9, NIV)

I have learned more about sitting at Jesus' feet over the years.  At times, I have had to discipline myself to do it.  Other times, it comes more natural.  I have also learned that the more I do it---the more I enjoy doing it and find myself doing it more often.

That time is precious.  The time sitting in His presence cannot be rushed.  It must be savored and cherished.  It's in those sweet times with our Lord and Savior that we come more into a place of peace, calmness, and rest---no matter what's going on around us. 

The rest of the world may be rushing around like Martha was rushing around the house, being busy, making all the preparations she thought she had to make for Jesus.  However, the more we discipline ourselves and just choose to sit at Jesus' feet---the better off we are spiritually and otherwise. 

For I am reminded that Mary chose what was better, and it wasn't taken away from her.  Neither will it be taken away from us when we choose what is better---sitting at Jesus' feet.



Copyright 2014 by Dawn Freeman. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment